Thursday 27 February 2014

Cash for Life $10 Loses a Grand Prize - Emerald 7's Takes Over Top Spot

The good and bad news with a game like the $10 Cash for Life Family is that it has a small number of large grand prizes. With a $2,025,000 Grand Prize the game was steaming along on top of my ratings. And then the bad news happened. Victor Ashun-Quainoo of Brampton took down one of the three grand prizes. Good for him – bad for the rest of us. The game has been knocked down from top status to middling status. It may be able to return to favoured status in time but for now we have to look elsewhere.

And that elsewhere is Emerald 7’s. This game has five of its seven grand prizes left to be claimed along with one of its two second prizes and only 30% of its float left to sell. The game is average within its group in terms of chances to win a prize. Its grand prize rating is not great as the grand prize is only $77,777 for your $5 ticket but it has lots of prizes between $100 and the grand prize amount. It also offers a low number of “winning” tickets that return the cost of the ticket. I like that. Your chances to win one of the grand prizes currently stand at 190,000:1 and that is the best of any game currently for sale.

EMERALD 7s


$1 - $2 Game Update

The $2 Cash For Life Family game is creeping back up the ladder after surrendering an early grand prize. It is an excellent choice for an inexpensive game.

$3 Game Update

There is still more bad news than good news in this area. At present, the best rated game is Super Bingo #3013.

$4 - $5 Game Update

Emerald 7’s is the game of choice but Cash In is also a good choice. Cross-Tripler is the only poor choice in this area.

$10 - $20 Game Update

Avoid Classic Gold. You can play any of the others, including the $10 Cash for Life Family. That game has taken a hit but it’s still not a poor choice.

Comings and Goings

The OLG retired Money Multiplier and Black Pearls this past week. We were happy to see Black Pearls go as all the grand prizes had been claimed and with a $100,000 grand prize, it was the OLG’s policy to retire the game. Money Multiplier was another story. That game would be top rated if it was still in play. It had two $100,000 grand prizes left and only 13% of its float left to sell. That still amounts to 400,000 tickets somewhere in the system. I fail to understand why the OLG would not want to continue to sell the game. Or maybe I do understand all too well. 

The sobering reality of playing any of these games was reinforced by a poster who recounts that he found 12 Money Multipliers, bought them all, and managed a total return of $15 for his efforts. That would be enough to turn me off the game.  

Personal Play

Two Cash for Life $10 tickets were purchased this past week. Both were winners returning $25 in total. I know – nothing to shout about but it is my first winning week of 2014 so I’m patting myself on the back regardless.
I’ll be buying a Lotto Max ticket this week. A $50 million jackpot and twenty $1 million supplementary prizes is sufficient to drag me in based upon the wisdom of a reader comment of a few months ago. With three lines in play, and barring duplicate winners, I have 21 chances of 24 million:1 to snag one of the prizes.  As mentioned before, this is a “winners take all” sort of lottery. As an illustration, the chances of getting 4 or seven numbers on one line are a little over 70:1. The payoff for doing so is 3:1. Those kinds of odds will empty your pockets in a hurry. On the other hand, a 1.2 million to one shot to win $1 million (or maybe $50 million) for my $5 is worth the investment.

Best of luck to all.

Doug


30 comments:

  1. thanks for these write-ups doug - I've always been able to find prize amounts left but never the floats .. emerald7s do make the most sense at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a good day sweeping up the leftovers. Found a store with 8 Money Multiplier and won $50. Then I took these to cash at my regular store and bought their last 8 Emeralds and won $52. So I came out ahead $22 overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No winner on Lotto Max again... can they like have one huge jackpot like they do in the U.S Powerball? I just dont understand why we get to only pick one line of Lotto Max?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can only pick 1 line in lotto max because its the biggest lottery in canada thus the most controlled, hence they're clever tricks of fueling more hype when they don't give out a jackpot winner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a really unlucky February. Sounds like I wasn't the only one. Lets hope March is better for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i got 2 emerald 7 tickets today and on 1 of them i won $107, the other i won nothing

    ReplyDelete
  7. One huge jackpot like they do in the US does not help enough people, its funny how players complain how difficult it is to win and at the same time they want larger than life jackpots, to get US jackpots you would need to have US odds power ball for instance is 1 in 176 million for $2 while lotto max is 1 in 28.5 million for $5 plus the amount you win in the US is never the advertised amount if you take cash which most people do plus they take taxes out of it as well so most times you only win about 30% of the advertised amount after taxes whereas in Canada its 100%

    Lotto max only allows you choose 1 line because when they did the study before it was created to replace super 7 most players stated they only had 1 number and they also hate filling out slips making people choose all 3 will affect sales. Quebec is the only province where you can choose all 3 lines and it is the worst performing province in lotto max

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got 4 right on lotto max - and it was on their random picks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quebec is the worst performing province to win lotto max jackpot and they still have the ability to choose 3 lines.. makes me think they RIGG draws by generating fake numbers after the "real" winning ticket is drawn... its called profit maximization

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I just came across this blog and I'm glad I did! I have been playing bingo express for the past week and I never knew it was a bad choice, the sad part is I won the 3rd biggest prize which is a amazing $10 lol. I have always wondered how to find out how much of each ticket is left to sell because I can not find it on the olg website do you call them every week or something? Thanks, Brennen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its in the unclaimed section when you click instant games on their site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only see how many of each prize is left not the amount of tickets that have been sold.

      Delete
    2. click the game that you would like to know how many tickets are out, then read where it says "For additional information about this game, click here."

      it will say how many tickets were printed out total for that game.

      Delete
    3. I mean like for example he says there is 30% of the Emerald Sevens Float left to sell. How do you find that? Because the PDF info just says how many was released for that game not how many is left in circulation.

      Delete
    4. Brennen,

      I am not privy to any more information than anyone else. I estimate the number of tickets left to sell etc. by calculating the percentage of listed prizes that are left and multiplying it by the original float. When I'm dealing with games like Crossword Emerald 7's where the prizes listed are in the thousands, the estimation is going to be very accurate. I have proven this in the past by obtaining information from the OLG once a game has been finalized. The accuracy of the estimate gets fuzzier when the number is smaller. In some games there are less than 100 prizes listed on the web site. In those cases there is a higher margin of error.

      I have detailed what I do in earlier posts and in response to questions as I don't want anyone to think that I have access to information that they don't.

      I have often been tempted to look into a statistics textbook to see how I can express the estimate in a way that would be accurate to a mathematician. It's a project I may undertake come springtime.

      Thanks for the post.

      Doug

      Delete
  12. where it says "tickets received" is the amount of tickets printed for that game

    ReplyDelete
  13. doug where do you get your float figures ? on the olg site ? thanx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scrabble is back. That's the one we won big on last year. So far only $6 back on $18 spent. But that's better than my average for all of last month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doug, I know you always say avoid Classic Gold, but I just had to buy one (gas station had a mini tray filled with random scratch tickets, and the classic Gold was the only one that stood out from the rest)
    Turns out I won $50 :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello is it ok to play prestige?

    ReplyDelete
  17. good day for me, bought 5 emerald 7's and won 48 dollars. then baught a 20 dollar scratch and won 50. then walked out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gunna buy 1 or 2 prestiges tonight and see how they go

    ReplyDelete
  19. baught 1 prestige, won 50, i was damn lucky today lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Won $100 on Daily Keno! Spent $1 and got back $99. I feel very good lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice you won on a 4 pick, but if you put 5 or 10 bux on the pick u woulda walked out with 500 or a thousend lol but nice still

    ReplyDelete
  22. Found a Money Multiplier at the grocery store yesterday and turns out they had 32 in the back. Bought them all but no grand prize =/. Got 107$ back

    ReplyDelete