Monday 3 October 2016

Keno #1418 Remains The Top Pick

This is the 200th update of this blog which I started four years ago. It will also be the last update with a Scratch and Win focus. Over the lifetime of the blog I have learned a lot both by looking under the hood at the OLG and from the many posters who have contributed to this community project. I thank all of them for their interest. In total, there has been over 450,000 visits to the blog and I'm pleased with how often it shows up on Google when searching about the OLG.

The truth is that updating the blog has become more of a chore than a pleasure. That's natural and when that happens, well, I think we would all agree that it is time to move on. I refer all visitors to the previous update for a list of other resources available for players who want to use a modicum of strategy in deciding what games to play.

I will, however, continue to post in this space on the broad subject of the OLG and its fortunes. My focus will be on their Modernization Plan, which is sputtering, to be kind.

After four years of updating the blog, this is what I have learned:


  1. Never buy scratch tickets for games that are devoid of Grand Prizes. Tools are available to ensure that is the case.
  2. Always check your tickets, winners and losers, at the checking machines before throwing them out or cashing them. 
  3. Don't rely on lottery information provided by your local seller unless you know that he/she is knowledgeable. 
  4. Don't hesitate to call the OLG with any concerns or questions you may have. Their call center staff is first class. 
  5. Play the games you like with the proviso of #1. 



Although I retain a smidgen of doubt that "random distribution" can have more than one meaning, I can point to no evidence that the printing and distribution of tickets is anything other than random in the broadest sense of the word. One poster summed up the subject well when he asked what possible reason the OLG would have to tinker with a business model that is already so heavily stacked in its favour. Makes sense.


Y'all be good now.


Doug

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to see you you go. Although I haven't posted for a while I have still followed every post since 2013. I also learned a few things while here. Especially, never try to chase down a certain prize, as in the Lucky Lines fiasco from a while back.

    Take Care, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Doug, it was once my one and only source outside of OLG that could give me a breakdown of the games. I found this very useful when adapting to the new games here in Ontario as compared to the UK, which had dramatically worse odds in their games. I came across this blog when doing my research into scratch tickets, which sadly not enough of players do which plays into the hands of OLG. As you mentioned there are people playing games devoid of the grand prizes, and others relying solely on cashiers knowledge about prizes and which tickets are good. Its all in the statistics! I'm a great believer of this and I tend to do research what I'm buying based on Odds rather than 'Top Prizes' or Shiny Tickets, as I mentioned before I'm using the site ScratchStats.ca to give me these updated odds of each game to help me determine the best odds.

    Thanks for the great work! I always got useful information from here and believe think you did a public service in dedicating a fair amount of time over those four years in helping people with this blog.
    All the best,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still undecided on scratch stats..it seems like every time i check there it says something about its updating latest odds and maybe its just me but its a bit confusing too navigate..lol.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Cheers Doug.
    Thnx for your work you've put into this blog.

    Myself like Lloyd havent chimed in for a while but i keep up on any stats and input on your blog.

    Gl everyone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates. I will still come to read about OLG modernization and as a reference for instant games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone know if the new Ontario Cash for life prizes are true "life" prizes or max of 25 years still? The new game seems different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug,

    You gotta come out of retirement! Just saw the new OLG website, very curious what you and others think of it.

    For me, the first browse makes this feel like a deliberate attempt to reduce transparency and accountability, while appearing to be 'friendlier' (i.e. bigger print and more pics) to those using mobile devices. seems much harder to track winners to choose which games are worth playing. I cannot see anywhere to check unclaimed tickets or where winners were sold, not so far anyway.

    Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doug,
    I read your blog back in the Fall and realized I never commented when I came back today to see if you'd made any updates. Thank you for all you've done with this blog and I hope to see another post soon. You are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to see this blog's obvious end - i offer to those seeking what was once here to try my blog https://olgscratchticketguide.blogspot.ca/ - i`ve made 200 posts there in it's 9 month life so far - i offer weekly odds & ratings and i challenge anyone else as an authority on OLG scratch tickets.

    ReplyDelete