Sunday 25 August 2013

Texas Hold'Em Barely Holds on to Top Spot

It gives me great pleasure to announce that one of the readers of this blog was the lucky winner of $75,000 in the current Scrabble game! Lloyd purchased his ticket near Coxwell and Queen in the east end of Toronto. Lloyd has answered one of the questions I have in that the OLG recorded his win as being in East York (a former borough of Toronto before amalgamation). That's where Lloyd and his wife live. I always wondered if the winners list indicates where the ticket was bought or where the winner resides. Now I know. This is Lloyd's second win of $1000 or more. That means two visits to OLG headquarters. Not too shabby!

Lloyd reports that he will be spending $5000 on some new furniture with the rest going into savings. I think that $75,000 is the perfect amount to win. It's enough to pay bills, take a trip, buy some new things, make an RRSP and a TFSA contribution and have lots left over! But it's not enough to change your life or adversely affect your relationships with family and friends. So Hats Off to Lloyd! We should all be inspired by the knowledge that winning is indeed possible. Lloyd's Scrabble game still has a Grand Prize left to claim and only an estimated 15% of its tickets left to sell. Your chances to win it are a measly 500,000:1 so lets go find it!

Texas Hold'Em barely holds on to the top spot this week. One Grand Prize remains outstanding with approximately 380,000 tickets left to sell. Your problem will be to find any tickets. My local seller tells me that Texas Hold'Em and a couple of the other games on the "Best Of" list have "expired" and he has returned tickets to OLG headquarters. I think that he's wrong about the "expired" bit but I suspect that OLG has asked retailers to return unsold tickets in advance of canceling the game. It's my old bugaboo and I intend to bleat on about the subject in future entries. But not this week given Lloyd's big win.

TEXAS HOLD‘EM POKER


Top Rated Games


  1. Texas Hold'Em
  2. Silver Gold
  3. Prestige
  4. Scrabble
  5. Wild 10's*


* Wild 10's has had a run of winners over the past few weeks lowering its playability rating. Twenty-five $10,000 prizes remain to be claimed from 240,000 tickets.

Games to Avoid


  1. Bingo #3008
  2. Bonus Keno 
  3. Keno
  4. Horse Shoes
  5. Poker Multiplier


$1 - $2 Game Update

Silver Gold is a good game but tickets will be hard to find. Fast 200s is a good second choice.

$3 Game Update

The four lowest rated games, at the moment, are all $3 games. Be careful as these games are among the most popular.

$4 - $5 Game Update

Cleopatra is the top rated game in this area. A reader has indicated that he dislikes the game due to his 0 for 8 ticket run when the game was first launched. I've yet to win with the game too so I'll be treading lightly, if at all.

$10 - $20 Game Update

Prestige and Wild10s are both playable.


Comings and Goings

No action to report although if my sellers are any indication, the retirement of at least two of the top 5 rated games is imminent. Grrrrr.


Personal Play


Eight Silver Gold tickets included 3 winners totaling $14. Two Cleopatra tickets returned bupkis! My overall numbers are stuck at 38% cash rate and 72% return on investment. I need just a touch of Lloyd's luck.

Enjoy your week.


Doug









11 comments:

  1. Congrats to Lloyd! I've never won 1/1000th of that. This week 2 200 mill won $70 and 5 prestige returned $35. My summer fun budget is winding down so ill be playing a lot less in Sept.

    Ticket wise there seems to a be a flood of games at the counters, around 10 that only have 1 winner left so I would hope they retire some. There's a new $5 game Money Mulitplier as well.

    Anyone care to guess when the first Prestige winning ticket will be found?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I like the sound of your budgeting system. It's important to know how much our little hobby costs and then exercise strict controls over how much we spend. I've never won more than $50 so I know how you feel about larger prizes.

      Those Prestige tickets don't seem to be selling too well. Maybe if either Wild 10s or Extravaganza gets retired sales will pick up for Prestige.

      Delete
  2. Big Congrats to Lloyd and his Wife good for you and its nice to see someone close to where I live win....
    WPT is impossible to find in the east end of Toronto I've looked in so many convience stores and nada.
    I played 70.00 in Prestige this week and I'm down 50 buckeroo's and 1 wild 10's that gave me nothing as well..
    With Prestige you can win more then once on the ticket which is cool but honestly with that game I'm probably lost more then I've won. Doug you said the odds of this game are close to the 20dollar game correct?
    Jay the first million dollar ticket may show up by Christmas...lol
    I wish all of us a WINNING week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley,

      I prefer Prestige to $200 Million at the moment. In the latter game, half of the 12 Grand Prizes have been claimed yet only an estimated 30% of the tickets have been sold. For Prestige, as Jay pointed out, we're still waiting for the first prize to be claimed.

      Doug

      Delete
  3. Yea I agree with Jay I was just discussing how it seems a lot of these games are 1 grand prize win away from retirement but have stayed that way for a while, very convenient for olg....

    I always knew olg goes by where the person lives when posting winners, for instance there was a texas winner of wild 10's last week and olg does not sell tickets outside Ontario. Also when they do the releases for big wins they usually announce where the winning ticket was sold and since I read all winner news releases for inspiration and I noticed there were sometimes variations between the 2.

    Congrats to Lloyd and his wife, I have never been to olg headquarters and it has been one of the things I have always wanted to do, not just to visit but to redeem.

    This week was a slow week for me, none of the games particularly excited me and for the first time in a while I bought gas without buying any ticket, olg has made enough from me for now. I am still active with a group lotto 649 and picked up some charity lottery tickets (princess margaret and so on)

    The first prestige million dollar winner will come before the end of September and it will be someone in the gta (probably in Mississauga, Brampton or Oshawa)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trinitron,

    As we have learned, the OLG is not required to retire games that have no Grand Prizes remaining.

    Games are supposed to be retired if the Grand Prize is $100,000 or more although I have seen them be slow about that and they don't follow the rule for Cash for Life games even though the cash equivalent for the game is more than $100,000.

    Glad to see that you are as suspicious of the OLG as I am. I think that Prestige will have a winner this week and that it will be in town I have never heard of before!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now they have no choice but to retire scrabble, more lucky lines probably has to go as well both games don't have any grand prizes left but its worse for scrabble as the next 3 prize categories have also been emptied out.

      Its a popular game like crossword so I am sure it will be back soon. It also looks like they have retired extravaganza as its no longer on the list which would make sense as I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in a while

      Delete
  5. Trinitron00,
    Interesting. We'll see how this unfolds. I am of a view that the retirement of games should be based upon objective criteria. The OLG cites low sales as a reason but, as we have seen, that can be manipulated by controlling the supply of tickets. My problem comes when games like Instant Millions is retired when 2 of the 3 Grand Prizes remain outstanding and fully one third of the tickets are left to be sold.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trinitron00,
    Interesting. We'll see how this unfolds. I am of a view that the retirement of games should be based upon objective criteria. The OLG cites low sales as a reason but, as we have seen, that can be manipulated by controlling the supply of tickets. My problem comes when games like Instant Millions is retired when 2 of the 3 Grand Prizes remain outstanding and fully one third of the tickets are left to be sold.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doug and everyone on the Blog
    Well this week I bought 18 Prestige tickets all from different vendor's and I'm down 90.00 I have a hard time believing that the odds of winning any prize is the same as the 20dollar game and the most I've ever won on these tickets is 20.00 has anyone ever won 100.00 or even higher prizes not the million but there's suppose to be alot of other big prizes as well or is it just a ploy? The classic whites are becoming scarce in my neck of the woods which is fine I never really played them much anyways..
    Happy Gambling to all of us this week and lets keep our fingers crossed someone wins a BIG PRIZE this week...

    ReplyDelete